Thursday, November 19, 2015

So here's the thing. In 2013 the Australian Public Service was in the middle of a "recruitment freeze". I had been working in the APS for 15 years and was on a career trajectory, but all of a sudden things came to a screaming halt. A good friend of mine had applied to undertake a doctorate and shared her initial journey with me. I was inspired: if the circumstances around me had taken my career progression out of my control, then I would take back control by going back to university and engaging in higher learning.

So I applied. Three little words that meant jumping through administrative hurdles, reading policies, obtaining two referees (one of whom had already gained a PhD and said that it stands for "Permanent Head Damage" - but did I listen? NO!!!), and running around to esoteric offices off campus and lodging my application form. I started my doctoral journey in August 2014.

At this time I was clear about my thesis: I was investigating the effectiveness of workforce planning in the public sector.

The doctoral course at "my" university (see how I've cathected with it!), involves undertaking a number of courses as well as a research project that results in a thesis.

The first course I undertook was conducted by the most wonderful woman, JV. It was a generic course for post-graduate students about research methods and research design. My class consisted of about 20 students from a variety of racial and ethic backgrounds, from all over the university, researching the most amazing topics: from biology, chemistry, teaching, information communication technology (ICT), and business. I learned such a lot form this course, and suddenly I understood that each step of my research process had to be guided by clear thinking and a thorough understanding of the dreaded ontology and epistemology. It's been over a year since engaging with the dreaded o&e, and STILL the concepts bamboozle me, but here's my laywoman's understanding of them:

Ontology is one's thoughts about the nature of being. My thoughts about the nature of being are quite radical. Unlike those with a "positivist" mindset, I believe in social construction, that is, that all 'facts' are interpreted, they are informed by political, social, ideological interests and interpretation.

Epistemology, on the other hand, is all about theories of what constitutes good knowledge. I believe that good knowledge comes from unpacking power and privilege.

Mind you, at the beginning of my doctoral studies I was not as clear. You see, 15 years in the public sector had shifted my thinking, and I was immersed at the time in 'scientific management' practices, such as workforce planning, job role evaluation, and span of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment