Saturday, November 21, 2015

My working history and why it's important that you are simpatico with your paid work organisation

The fourth chapter of my working life is feminist related. I graduated from the Australian National University with B.A (Hons) Women's Studies and English Literature in 1997, and started work in an abortion clinic. Now, as a feminist, and a person committed to the rights of women, I thought that this role (which was on the reception desk), would not be difficult for me. I was a dab hand at calculating pregnancy duration, was pretty good at squeezing in appointments, and could walk past the anti-abortion protesters outside the building like the best of them. But what I could not handle was the level of anxiety and grief I saw at the clinic. NOBODY came into the clinic in a blaze manner. I saw women there, women and their husbands, women and their fiancees, women and their children, women and their children and their mothers, and what I learned was that abortion is a matter of grave consideration, a decision not made easily. At the end of the day, I couldn't shrug off patient's feelings, and I left before my first two weeks was up. The mis-alignment I experienced with the job at the abortion clinic was not about a clash of values, rather, it was about my (in)ability to distance myself from intense emotions.

My second post-uni job was at the Women's Electoral Lobby (WEL), undertaking an administrative assistant role. I owe a lot to WEL and they owe something to me. Firstly, I had not had a true 'administrative' job role before. There was no meeting and greeting involved, as in the receptionist roles I'd had in the past. Instead it was about financial management, membership, and keeping an eye on the issues of the day. In typical Karen-style I also redid the filing system and cross referenced everything. I learned to use a computer for more than just writing, as well as a fax machine (such daring technology!). I guess I would have worked part-time at WEL for 12-months, but I never did receive my superannuation payment, and yes, I realise that I MUST chase this up.

I left WEL to join the Australian Public Service in 1998 firstly working at the Attorney General's Department as a temporary junior legislative editor. While in this position I expressed interest in participating in a Department's Women's Forum, and it was here that my interest in human resources (HR) began. The women's forum discussed a number of things, such as increasing the number of women lawyers, differential treatment of women and men, workforce planning, succession management, learning and development opportunities. My interest in HR was piqued, and I applied for an APS4 position in HR at the then Department of Health and Family Services.


No comments:

Post a Comment